Aligarh Muslim University
Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences is an extension of Majlis Ibn Sina, which was formed in 1965 under the aegis of Tibbi Academy. Majlis Ibn Sina was a sort of monthly discussion group. For instance, the first meeting of that Majlis was held to discuss typhoid.
Tibbi Academy was itself formed in 1963 at Bhopal. In a note on page 4, of the first book of Tibbi Academy, on Modern Times and Unani Medicine the author Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman announced the establishment of Tibbi Academy with its clear objective: “to publicise the theoretical principles and practical ideas of Unani medicine, to publish the text of standard works of Unani medicine and also their translations… further, a learned and research oriented monthly journal”.
From 1965 to 1970, a monthly journal with the title Al-Hikmat (in Urdu) from Delhi was published under the auspices of Tibbi Academy under the editorship of Syed Zillur Rahman Nadvi. The editor stated in the introduction of the first issue (May 1965, page 2) that the journal is being issued.
The university was established as the Muhammadan Anglo-Oriental College in 1875 by Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, starting functioning on 24 May 1875. The movement associated with Syed Ahmad Khan and the college came to be known as the Aligarh Movement, which pushed to realise the need for establishing a modern education system for the Indian Muslim populace. He considered competence in English and Western sciences necessary skills for maintaining Muslims’ political influence. Khan’s vision for the college was based on his visit to Oxford University and Cambridge University, and he wanted to establish an education system similar to the British model.
A committee was formed by the name of foundation of Muslim College and asked people to fund generously. Then Viceroy and Governor General of India, Thomas Baring gave a donation of ₹10,000 while the Lt. Governor of the North Western Provinces contributed ₹1,000, and by March 1874 funds for the college stood at ₹1,53,920 and 8 annas. Maharao Raja Mahamdar Singh Mahamder Bahadur of Patiala contributed ₹58,000 while Raja Shambhu Narayan of Benaras donated ₹60,000. Donations also came in from the Maharaja of Vizianagaram as well. The college was initially affiliated to the University of Calcutta for the matriculate examination but became an affiliate of Allahabad University in 1885. The seventh Nizam of Hyderabad, HEH Mir Osman Ali Khan made a remarkable donation of ₹5,00,000 to this institution in the year 1918.